How to Combat Oily Skin
Oily skin can be caused by genetics, diet, hormone levels and even the cosmetics you use. But in 90 plus degree weather, oily skin becomes an issue that most everyone will have to deal with. So lets talk about some prevention techniques you can use, so that you don’t have to look like a greasy, sweaty mess.
First I want to point out that there is a pattern to most health and skin related issues. What you out into your body, AND what you put on your body. So I am going to break it down starting from the inside – out.
What to put into your body to combat oily skin:
1. Always the #1 answer: Drink lots of water! Water keeps your body and your skin hydrated and flushes out toxins. Read our previous blog 12 Benefits of Drinking Water for more about the benefits of hydration.
2. Limit your intake of sugars, salts and fats. Avoid fried, highly seasoned foods or highly processed vegetable oils.
3. A deficiency in vitamin B2 can cause oily skin so either take a supplement or eat foods rich in vitamin B such as: whole grains, beans, nuts, nutritional yeast and what germ.
4. East plenty of fruits and vegetables. Avoid sugar, chocolate, and junk food, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages.
What to put ON your body to combat oily skin:
1. Keep your face clean – use a mild cleanser such as Cetaphil Daily and rinse with luke warm water
2. Use oil free moisturizers and cosmetics such as Clean & Clear Oil-Free Moisturizer
3. Avoid products that contain alcohol, an alcohol free toner will help soak excess oil such as Neutrogena Alcohol Free Toner
4. For makeup: use a tinted moisturizer and mineral powder instead of foundation. The mineral powder will soak up oil like a sponge!