How to Stay Cool When It’s Hot Out!
Most of the country is going to be experiencing high temperatures in the next couple days, but as much as we love the summer sun, high temperatures can be not only suffocating, but they can be dangerous to your health. So how do we stay cool when its HOT out? Read below to find out.
In your home (If you don’t have air conditioning):
- Keep your windows open overnight when it cools down and then shut them late morning just as it starts to get warmer, close blinds and curtains to keep cool air in.
- Find the West side of your home (this is where the afternoon sun gets in the most), plant a tree, a bush or purchase sun blocking shades to keep the sun out.
- Don’t use your oven – eat cold fruits and veggies or cold pasta salad instead of cooked food. Frozen fruit is always a great snack, blueberries and grapes are my favorite!
- The hottest time of the day is between 10-4, try to stay inside during that time.
- Fans, fans, fans. Fans help circulate the air, even when you do have AC.
On your Body:
- Wear light colors and loose fitting cotton clothes
- Store lotions in the fridge, hydrate your skin and cool off at the same time
- Take a cold shower! Its better for your hair and skin anyway.
- Put your hair in a ponytail, bun or braid. Hair on neck and back = hot!
- Fill a spray bottle with water and spray yourself down whenever you’re feeling the heat. This works great at the beach too!
- Stay hydrated – drink lots of water, keep plastic water bottles in the freezer, as the ice melts you’ll have ice cold water to drink.
For the Kids:
Its going to be hard to keep the kiddos inside so if they must be out in the hot sun, encourage activities that keep them cool.
- Water balloons
- Ice Skating
- Ice Cream